Job Title: Chief Accountant
Description: Oversees all accounting transactions and maintains the general ledger. Handles account receivable functions as well as some account payable functions. Prepares financial monthly reporting. Provides all accounting services for the LaPorte County Revolving loan fund including management plan development, loan processing, and loan repayments. Manages all federal, state, and local grants including financial oversight of NIRPC sub-recipients. Serves as a backup to the Chief Financial Officer in meetings. Provides all accounting services for two local government partner agencies and one nonprofit partner agency.
- General understanding of accrual accounting as well as governmental accounting standards.
- Understanding of State of Indiana mandated accounting requirements for governmental units.
- Ability to work well with fellow employees, vendors, and customers including conflict resolution.
- Analytical problem solving skills.
- Computer proficiency, especially in the areas of Microsoft Office and financial accounting software (Accufund experience preferred).
- Capability to multitask and manage time efficiently.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from a four year college or university.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Word and Excel.
- Strong knowledge of the theory and practice of accounting, particularly GASB standards.
- Strong ability to analyze and interpret financial records.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare complex financial reports and evaluate complex financial systems.
- Experience with governmental fund accounting preferred.
- To be determined based on qualifications.
Email, mail or fax cover letter, resume and contact information for 2-3 references by July 28 to:
ATTN: Meredith Stilwell
Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
6100 Southport Road
Portage, IN 46368-6409
219-763-6060, ext. 138; fax 762-1653
Last modified: July 6, 2017