Transportation Projects Manager
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The Transportation Projects Manager is responsible for creating and maintaining the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) associated with NIRPC’s role as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Lake, Porter, and LaPorte Counties in Indiana. This includes project solicitation and selection processes, developing, maintaining, and balancing the regional spending plan and completing annual closeouts for Local Public Agency projects. The Transportation Projects Manager staffs the Transportation Resources & Oversight Committee, which provides transparent public oversight of funding and schedule changes as they pertain to local transportation projects in the TIP.
The Transportation Projects Manager is the primary MPO customer service point of contact for Local Public Agencies navigating state and federal funding programs, processes, and procedures to implement their road construction projects. The person in this role must understand and be able to communicate eligibility requirements for federal funding categories, transportation project development phases, and documentation requirements, while assisting communities through these processes to maximize the value of transportation dollars.
The individual in this role coordinates and implements a quarterly tracking program with local project sponsors and the Indiana Department of Transportation. This person will also be leading NIRPC’s transition to an on-line project tracking system.
- Minimum educational accomplishment is a Bachelor’s Degree in urban or regional planning, transportation planning, transportation project management, transportation engineering, or a significantly related field.
- Minimum of three years of successful experience in transportation planning or transportation project management desired, preferably with a regional, state, or local government. Five or more years preferred. Indiana Department of Transportation Employee in Responsible Charge certification, or demonstration of a commitment to receive this certification, is a must. Professional Engineer Certification or Purdue Road Scholar Course Completion a plus. Demonstrated understanding of transportation planning principles and general requirements of Metropolitan Planning Organizations.
- Exceptional skills and aptitude in project management including budgeting, and coordination of work activities.
- Strong customer and public service ethic. Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in order to respond promptly to requests for information.
- Strong commitment to quality and attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including group facilitation abilities. Demonstrated ability to prepare & give public presentations while making technical, financial, and programmatic information understandable
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as both a leader and a member of interdisciplinary teams.
STARTING SALARY PARAMETERS:
- Compensation will be negotiated based on experience, education, certification, and proven competency.
- NIRPC has a competitive benefits package, including twelve paid holidays and a flexible work schedule.
APPLICATION & TIMEFRAME:
- To be considered for this position, please submit a carefully-written cover letter and resume to:
Meredith Stilwell, Office Manager
Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
6100 Southport Road
Portage, IN 46368-6409
219-763-6060, ext. 138; fax 762-1653
- If selected for further consideration, professional references may be required.
- The position will remain open until filled in order to find the candidate with the best fit among professional qualifications, experience, and suitability to NIRPC’s mission.
Download job posting HERE
Last modified: August 29, 2017