Job Title: GIS Planner
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The GIS Planner is responsible for coordinating all GIS functions with all planning staff at NIRPC, including assistance to member communities, stakeholders and partners associated with NIRPC’s role as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Lake, Porter, and LaPorte Counties in Indiana. The selected candidate will:
- Perform GIS-related work to support regional planning projects such as land use, transportation, and environmental planning for Northwest Indiana
- Coordinate the gathering, conversion, editing, and analysis of GIS data
- Develop and maintain GIS data and metadata
- Maintain knowledge of the GIS field and technical training in new software, tools, and/or extensions
- Develop web-based GIS applications
- Support the NIRPC team with other duties as required
• Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or a related field with emphasis in GIS. Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
• Minimum of one year of successful professional experience (includes internships) with primary duty using GIS. Additional experience will be considered in lieu of Master’s degree.
• Practical knowledge, proficiency, and experience using the ESRI suite of software including ArcMap and related extensions and tools, ArcEditor, and ArcServer, and ESRI story maps.
• Demonstrated understanding of transportation planning principles and general requirements of Metropolitan Planning Organizations.
The successful candidate will demonstrate through their written resume, cover letter, portfolio, and interview the following:
- Creative and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Provides good customer service to internal and external clients
- Develops and maintains strong professional relationships
- Encourages and sustains positive team dynamics
- Manages time and schedule
- Communicates clearly and transparently
- Flexible and open-minded
STARTING SALARY PARAMETERS:
• $41,000 – $45,000, depending on qualifications. NIRPC has a competitive benefits package, including twelve paid holidays and a flexible work schedule.
APPLICATION & TIMEFRAME:
• To be considered for this position, please submit all requested files to:
Meredith Stilwell, Office Manager
Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
6100 Southport Road Portage, IN 46368-6409
219-763-6060, ext. 138; fax 762-1653
o A carefully-written cover letter (single page),
o Resume (no longer than two pages),
o Portfolio of three examples of work product using GIS, including a maximum one-page explanation of the three samples (Web links, PDFs, JPEGs, PNGs or similar accepted), and
o Contact information for at least three professional or academic references
• Application materials should be submitted to NIRPC by February 16, 2018, though the position will remain open until filled in order to find the candidate with the best fit among professional qualifications, experience, and suitability to NIRPC’s mission.
Download Job Posting HERE
Last modified: January 24, 2018