Job Title: Public Participation Planner
Working smartly to enhance the quality of life for nearly 800,000 people along the southern shore of Lake Michigan, the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission (NIRPC) is seeking an exceptional individual to assume primary responsibility for Public Participation Planning. The selected candidate will play a substantial role in the development of NIRPC’s upcoming 2050 Comprehensive Regional Plan.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The Public Participation Planner is responsible for building and sustaining relationships with NIRPC stakeholders, partners, and the general public at large. The Public Participation Planner executes all aspects of NIRPC’s Public Participation Plan in coordination with all planning staff at NIRPC, including senior leadership. This position is critical to NIRPC’s role as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Lake, Porter, and LaPorte Counties in Indiana. The selected candidate will:
- Administer and assist in the development content for all social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Podcasts;
- Assist in the identification of key stakeholders and partners for all planning activities, including maintaining outreach contact lists;
- Commit to enhancing federal Title VI and Environmental Justice obligations/applications/activities within NIRPC and implement innovative strategies to expand public participation and engagement opportunities in affect communities;
- Identify and maintain a list of ADA and transit accessible meeting locations for public outreach events;
- Manage outreach events such as committee meetings, open houses, and public meetings;
- Develop content for, and publish, newsletters and press releases
- Execute all other aspects of the Public Participation Plan; and
- Support the NIRPC team with other duties as required
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Planning, Political Science, or a related field. Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
• Minimum of one year of successful professional experience (includes internships) with primary duties working with the public. Additional experience will be considered in lieu of Master’s degree.
• Practical knowledge, proficiency, and experience using social media, social media management software, and outreach tools such as Constant Contact.
• Understanding of urban and transportation planning principles and general requirements of Metropolitan Planning Organizations as defined in federal law.
The successful candidate will demonstrate through their written resume, cover letter, portfolio, and interview the following:
- Creative and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Provides good customer service to internal and external clients
- Develops and maintains strong professional relationships
- Encourages and sustains positive team dynamics
- Manages time and schedule
- Communicates clearly and transparently
- Flexible and open-minded
STARTING SALARY PARAMETERS:
• $40,000 – $45,000, depending on qualifications. NIRPC has a competitive benefits package, including twelve paid holidays and a flexible work schedule.
APPLICATION & TIMEFRAME:
• To be considered for this position, please submit all requested files to:
Meredith Stilwell, Office Manager
Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
6100 Southport Road Portage, IN 46368-6409
219-763-6060, ext. 138; fax 762-1653
o A carefully-written cover letter (single page),
o Resume (no longer than two pages), and
o Contact information for at least three professional or academic references
• Application materials should be submitted to NIRPC by February 16, 2018, though the position will remain open until filled in order to find the candidate with the best fit among professional qualifications, experience, and suitability to NIRPC’s mission.
Download Job Posting HERE
Last modified: January 30, 2018