Job Title: Administrative Assistant
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
This position will support several departments, programs, and activities, focusing primarily on the Administrative, Finance and Environmental Departments. Duties include administration, communications, general office support, special events, and meeting coordination involving complex calendars.
The Administrative Assistant maintains schedules and contact lists for internal and external communications including staff, committee members, and external parties, and participates in special projects of a complex nature. All of these duties require the use of tact, strict confidentiality in the handling of sensitive information, excellent customer service, independent judgment, discretion, strong organizational skills, flexibility, attention to detail, and follow-through. The ideal candidate excels in communicating both verbally and electronically.
The Administrative Assistant schedules, organizes, and prepares rooms and materials and produces minutes of NIRPC committee meetings. The Administrative Assistant will also be required to track project activities, assemble paperwork for program compliance, meet deadlines for project reporting and collect other information, typically with the use of spreadsheets. Proficiency with Excel is critical.
Responsibilities and Duties
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- 2 years minimum of successful administrative or secretarial experience
- Proficiency in keyboarding, speed writing and/or shorthand
- Experience in using and manipulating Excel spreadsheets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional attitude and demeanor
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Attention to accuracy and detail with demonstrated proofreading ability
- Strong customer service ethic and ability, both internal to NIRPC staff and external to vendors, consultants, organizational partners, and the public
High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field preferred.
COMPENSATION & SALARY:
- Compensation will be negotiated based on experience, education, certification, and proven competency.
- NIRPC has a competitive benefits package, including twelve paid holidays and a flexible work schedule.
APPLICATION & TIMEFRAME:
- To be considered for this position, please submit a carefully-written cover letter and resume by March 30th to:
Meredith Stilwell, Office Manager
Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
6100 Southport Road Portage, IN 46368-6409
219-763-6060, ext. 138; fax 762-1653
- Application deadline is March 30th, 2018 – 4:30 pm.
- If selected for further consideration, professional references may be required.
- The position will remain open until filled in order to find the candidate with the best fit among professional qualifications, experience, and suitability to NIRPC’s mission.
Last modified: March 14, 2018