Environmental Management Policy Committee (EMPC)
Chairman: Geof Benson, NIRPC Commissioner Staff Contact: Kathy Luther, Director of Environmental Programs
Mission Statement: The Environmental Management Policy Committee of the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission recognizes the value and interdependence of northwest Indiana’s natural resources and economic strengths and encourages the use of those resources to meet current needs while ensuring that adequate resources are available for future generations.
- To educate and inform ourselves and others regarding environmental issues;
- To generate debate and discussion and focus public awareness on area-wide environmental issues;
- To form coalitions to pursue cooperative approaches to environmental issues of mutual concern;
- To facilitate communication between local elected officials and state and federal environmental agencies;
- To provide a vision for area-wide sustainable development;
- To serve as a vehicle for the development of sound regional public policy and planning/development guidelines that incorporate environmental protection;
- To assist in the development of a NIRPC environmental information resource and consultation center to assist local government planning/development.
Adopted April 4, 1995