Creating Livable Communities (CLC)
- The purpose of this program is to support community-based transportation/ land use projects that bring vitality to downtown areas, neighborhoods, station areas, commercial cores, and transit corridors. It will fund development and redevelopment projects.
Requirements / Eligibility:
- Projects should be identified in the Livable Centers Map or Transit Corridor Area Map.
- Projects must be possible to be implemented under existing codes/ordinances of the local government.
- Local governments, transportation agencies, and community-based nonprofit organizations may receive funding.
- Non-governmental organizations must partner with a local governmental agency.
Types of Grants:
- CLC Planning: to fund planning projects (a Pre-development Plan) that revitalize existing centers, neighborhood, downtown, transit stop or transit corridors and to prepare projects to compete for grants in the Capital Projects category.
- CLC Capital Projects: this category will provide funding for basic public infrastructure and site assembly to support development. Eligible projects are:
- Expanding roadway capacity & intersection improvements, street construction, realignment and reconstruction.
- Transit amenities and transit shelters.
- Street lighting and signage, public pedestrian features like sidewalks, bike lanes, bike racks, crosswalks, and benches.
- Public-use parking structures or the public portion of a shared public-private garage; and access projects,
- Extensions/modifications or relocation to local public sewer and water lines, and storm water management improvements.
- Right of way or easements for transportation facilities, retrofit project, land acquisition; demolition and removal of obsolete structures; and site preparation.
- Design and engineering of public improvements.
Creating Livable Communities Report:
- Crown Point and East Chicago
- Highland, Hobart, LaPorte and Merrillville
- Michigan City, Munster, Portage, Schererville and Valparaiso
- Porter, Whiting, Winfield, Burns Harbor, Beverly Shores, Hebron, Kingsbury, Kingsford Heights, Kouts, LaCrosse, Long Beach, Michiana Shores, New Chicago, Ogden Dunes, Pottawattamie Park, Schneider, Pines, Trail Creek, Wanatah, Westville