SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The GIS Planner is responsible for developing synergy between GIS concepts and regional planning activities with all staff at NIRPC, including assistance to member communities, stakeholders and partners associated with NIRPC’s role as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Lake, Porter, and LaPorte Counties in Indiana. The selected candidate will:
- Perform GIS-related work to support regional planning projects such as transportation, transit, land use, and environmental planning for Northwestern Indiana.
- Coordinate the collection, conversion, editing, and analysis of GIS data.
- Maintain GIS data and keep metadata up-to-date.
- Keep knowledge about the new GIS approaches and technical training in new software, tools, and/or extensions.
- Extract essential information from public/private databases on a routine basis.
- Develop web-based GIS applications.
- Support the NIRPC team with other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or a related field with emphasis in GIS. Master’s Degree strongly
- Minimum of three-five years of successful professional experience with primary duty using GIS. Additional experience will be considered in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Practical knowledge, proficiency, and experience using the ESRI products including ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ESRI story maps, and related extensions and tools.
- Comprehension of Federal and State GIS standards, as well as spatial data products and services.
- Demonstrated understanding of transportation planning principles and general requirements of Metropolitan Planning Organizations.
- Knowledge and experience manipulating US Census Bureau data, American Community Survey, and government databases in general.
- Be familiar with concepts in cartography and map design.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following through their written resume, cover letter, portfolio, and in an interview:
- Creativity and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Good customer service to internal and external clients
- Development and maintenance of strong professional relationships
- Contributor to positive team dynamics
- Management their time and schedule
- Communicates clearly and transparently
- Flexibility and open-minded
- Excellent attention to details, organization, and production of top-quality cartographic results in a fast-paced environment
STARTING SALARY PARAMETERS:
- Depending on qualifications. NIRPC has a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, participation in Indiana Public Employees Retirement Fund, twelve paid holidays and a flexible work schedule.
APPLICATION & TIMEFRAME:
- To be considered for this position, please submit all requested files to:
Meredith Stilwell, Office Manager
Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
6100 Southport Road
Portage, IN 46368-6409
219-763-6060, ext. 138; fax 762-1653
- A carefully-written cover letter (single page),
- Resume (no longer than two pages),
- Portfolio of three examples of work product using GIS, including a maximum one-page explanation of the three samples (Web links, PDFs, JPEGs, PNGs or similar accepted), and
- Contact information for at least three professional references
- Application materials should be submitted to NIRPC no later than October 5, 2018, though the position will remain open until filled in order to find the candidate with the best fit among professional qualifications, experience, and suitability to NIRPC’s mission.
Download Job Posting: PDF
Last modified: September 7, 2018