SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The Accountant I position is an entry level role within the finance department, supporting various aspects of finance and accounting for NIRPC. The successful candidate will need to be effective and experienced in the general accounting function with solid accounting experience combined with strong analytical skills. The position requires strong problem-solving skills, work ethic, organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work with others. The selected candidate will:
- Process Accounts Payable including: state and federal reporting, 1099 issuing, monthly claims report preparation and other reports as needed.
- Assist with work plan reporting and reconciliation, analyzing and consolidating budget and income statement forecasts.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and year-end financial reports.
- Post journal entries for accrued expenses and revenue.
- Create spreadsheets, draw charts and graphs to illustrate financial reports.
- Perform data entry and verification as needed under supervision of the Chief Financial Officer.
- Maintain Budget and Fixed Assets modules in the accounting system.
- Maintain confidentiality of financial information, investment decisions and any other tasks assigned by the Commission.
- Support the NIRPC team with other duties as required.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or Economics.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word.
- Good with numbers and figures and an analytical acumen, self-starter.
- Good understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices.
- Familiarity with relevant accounting computer software.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following through their written resume, cover letter, portfolio, and interview:
- Creative and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work independently and on a team.
- Provides good customer service to internal and external clients.
- Develops and maintains strong professional relationships.
- Encourages and sustains positive team dynamics.
- Manages time and schedule.
- Communicates clearly and transparently.
- Flexible and open-minded.
STARTING SALARY PARAMETERS:
- $35,000 – $42,000, depending on qualifications. NIRPC has a competitive benefits package, including twelve paid holidays and a flexible work schedule.
APPLICATION & TIMEFRAME:
- To be considered for this position, please submit all requested files to:
Meredith Stilwell, Office Manager
Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
6100 Southport Road
Portage, IN 46368-6409
219-763-6060, ext. 138; fax 762-1653
- A carefully-written cover letter (single page),
- Resume (no longer than two pages), and
- Contact information for at least three professional or academic references
- Application materials should be submitted to NIRPC by April 9, 2019, though the position will remain open until filled in order to find the candidate with the best fit among professional qualifications, experience, and suitability to NIRPC’s mission.
Last modified: March 27, 2019