SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The Technical Assistant is responsible for supporting the Transportation Team’s planning initiatives associated with NIRPC’s role as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Lake, Porter, and LaPorte Counties in Indiana. The selected candidate will:
Collect Data Outdoors
- Collaborate with NIRPC and Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) to identify traffic count locations and develop traffic count schedules.
- Install and retrieve outdoor automated roadway and trail traffic data collection devices on roadways and multi-use trails.
- Document physical features of sidewalk locations and quality, bicycle lane locations and quality, roadway pavement conditions, etc.
- Collect travel time data in peak (6am – 9am and 3pm – 7pm) and off-peak hours (9am – 3pm).
- Maintain personal safety when collecting data and be available to be contacted by others on NIRPC staff via mobile phone when in the field.
- Assist with other in-field data collection for the Transportation or Environment Team as required.
Maintain Data Collection Equipment, Supplies, and Vehicle
- Monitor and report condition of roadway and trail traffic data collection devices.
- Conduct physical inventories of traffic data collection devices.
- Maintain and makes minor repairs to traffic data collection devices.
- Arrange for maintenance and repairs of traffic data collection devices.
- Maintain the NIRPC vehicle used for in-field data collection (bring for tune-ups, tire rotations, oil changes, etc.).
At the Office Duties
- Assist in maintaining database of traffic counts collected.
- Download count data from field collection devices to NIRPC and INDOT databases.
- Share data for planning activities and for display on NIRPC website.
- Assist in preparation of reports with collected data for internal and external users.
- Respond to inquiries pertaining to roadway and trail data.
- Assist with distribution of materials for NIRPC meetings.
- Deliver planning documents to interested parties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in General Studies, Liberal Arts, Engineering Technology, or a related field where Microsoft Excel was used in coursework is preferred.
- Entry-level hourly position with no prior experience necessary. Prior work experience can be considered in lieu of Associate degree.
- Practical knowledge, proficiency, and experience using Google Maps, Gmail, Google Calendar, and Microsoft Excel is required.
- Willing to work independently and on a team.
- Willing to seasonally work before and after business hours to complete travel time data collection (before 8:30am and after 6:00pm).
- Valid driver’s license with an impeccable driving record (background check and driver abstract from Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles is required before position is offered and subsequent driving record monitoring while employed).
- Enthusiasm to continually learn/train to keep skills sharp and gain understanding of transportation planning principles and general requirements of Metropolitan Planning Organizations.
- Willing to work outdoors in variable weather conditions and fulfill other duties as required.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following through their written resume, cover letter, and in an interview:
- Creativity and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Good customer service to internal and external clients
- Development and maintenance of strong professional relationships
- Contributor to positive team dynamics
- Management of their time and schedule
- Communicates clearly and transparently
- Flexibility and an open-mind
- Excellent attention to details and organizational skills
STARTING SALARY PARAMETERS:
Starting at $32,760 and depending qualifications or experience. NIRPC has a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, participation in Indiana Public Employees Retirement Fund, twelve paid holidays and a flexible work schedule.
APPLICATION & TIMEFRAME:
To be considered for this position, please submit all requested files to:
Meredith Stilwell, Office Manager
Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
6100 Southport Road
Portage, IN 46368-6409
219-763-6060, ext. 138; fax 762-1653
- A carefully-written cover letter (single page),
- Resume (no longer than two pages), and
- Contact information for at least two professional references.
Application materials should be submitted to NIRPC no later than May 10, 2019, though the position will remain open until filled in order to find the candidate with the best fit among professional qualifications, experience, and suitability to NIRPC’s mission.
Wondering about Northwest Indiana?
Called “the Affordable Shore” by the Chicago Tribune, Northwest Indiana combines an innovative spirit, beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline, and proximity to Chicago and its amenities with commuter rail access that is undergoing major expansion and service enhancements.
Northwest Indiana’s 41 communities each has its own unique character, providing everything from vibrant downtown restaurant scenes to growing arts districts to simple, small town charm.
These communities provide Northwest Indiana with a rich but affordable quality of life, helped by a state constitution property tax cap, lower taxes than our Illinois neighbors, and lower housing costs overall within similar or better proximity to Chicago’s loop than many Illinois suburbs.
The Indiana Dunes National Park and coastal environs provide exceptional beaches, dunescapes, paddling opportunities, and access to over 150 miles of paved trails linking greenways, parks, and other recreational amenities throughout the region.
Last modified: April 24, 2019