Freight Studies & Initiatives
In 2011, the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission’s 2040 Comprehensive Regional Plan established the need to identify and prioritize locations for highway-rail grade crossing separations. This recommendation had been informed both by NIRPC’s regional Freight Study, and by a 2010 freight visioning workshop with stakeholders, which had confirmed highway-rail grade crossing separations as the region’s top freight-related priority. That same year, the NWI Rail Velocity, Information, Safety, Improvement and Opportunity Network (VISION) was organized to identify and prioritize problematic at-grade crossings, and develop an action plan for grade separations.
- NIRPC Freight Study. Cambridge Systematics. (Aug 2010)
- Regional At-Grade Crossing Study. Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission. (Apr 2012)
- Northwest Indiana At-Grade Crossing Report
- Northwest Indiana At-Grade Crossing Map
FREIGHT TASK FORCE
- NIRPC Freight Visioning Meeting. Cambridge Systematics. (Jan 2011)